La La Land

BE WARNED: I wrote this at 1 am without editing it. If it sucks, blame sleep deprivation.

Holy. Crap.

Ladies and gentlemen, for the past four years my favorite movie has been the Jennifer Lawrence movie, Silver Linings Playbook. I am so happy to say that it officially has been topped by La La Land.

The plot follows Mia (played by Emma Stone), an aspiring actress, and Sebastian (played by dreamboat Ryan Gosling), a struggling jazz musician. Mia moved to the City of Stars to follow her dreams and become just like her aunt and become and actress. Sebastian has played piano in bars and struggles to follow the rules as he wishes to be free to play what he wants. The two collide and find themselves falling in love. As they both begin to find success in their fields, tensions rise and threaten their relationship.

In my whole life, I have never experienced such a beautiful film. La La Land is more than just the tale of two lovers. It is a love letter to the dreamers and a visual marvel. The film pulls at all the heartstrings. I have cried at only a select few films, and even then there was maybe a scene or two that made me misty eyed. This film had me sobbing during 7 or 8 scenes. Even during happy scenes, I was crying. This film had the distinction of being one of the rare films that I never wanted to leave.

Stone and Gosling are a match made in heaven. Their characters are well rounded people with flaws, anxieties, worries, and joys. They aren't cookie cutter people. They show emotions and aren't afraid to be raw. This is what makes them feel real. Could Gosling have been a better singer? Yes. But this does not take away from his ability to show us his talent. Stone is a revelation. She lights up the screen with her every move. You hang up on her every word and beg for more.

The musical numbers are spot on. From the first scene, we are brought into a mystical world of color and simplistic dancing. They have you humming, tapping you feet, and bobbing your head. The dialogue and plot feel fresh and different. This film is original in every sense of the word. This film is the greatest film ever to bless theaters.

I give this film a maximum score of 5 out of 5. To those who have been a part of this, thank you. This has made my life so much better. I loved every moment and I hope that there will be a film that comes along that will be even a fraction of how amazing this has been.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suicide Squad

Rogue One: a Star Wars story

Spider Man: Homecoming